The holidays are around the corner and you’re looking for something classic and festive to serve your guests. Look no further than my rendition of a Bourbon Milk Punch. The secret is in the sweetness, the Spiced Panela Syrup is the Fall season ingredient you’ve been looking for. If you’re unfamiliar with Panela (aka Piloncillo), unrefined sugar cane juice that is dried and packed into various shapes and is widely used in Latin America. Sure, you can easily use brown sugar as a substitute, but trust me, this Panela is earthy as it is smokey with heavy notes of caramel (think: the flavor you enjoy in Mexican Coca-Cola). Infused with all-spice, cloves, cinnamon and star anise, it’ll turn any cocktail into a holiday inspired libation.
- Combine all ingredients in a shaking tin with ice and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Pour and strain over a large ice cube.
- Top with two dashes of chocolate bitters and freshly grated cinnamon.
- Garnish with said cinnamon stick.
Spiced Panela Syrup
- 2 Panela aka Piloncillo cones (dark brown sugar is a good substitute)
- 1½ Cups of Water
- ½ Cup of Apple Cider
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Star Anise
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 2 Allspice Berries
Method: Simmer all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat and reduce by 25%. Let it cool, store in an airtight container or bottle.